22 Dec 2013

Welcome to China!



As you already know from my first post, I travel quiet often and the last country I have been to is the great China. So, I am gonna take you with me on a eleven days tour around three different big cities: Nanjing, Beijing and Shanghai. I shall start from the flight itself which has been really long, but relaxing and comfortable at the same time. I traveled on a business class with the Emirates from Tunisia to Dubai to Shanghai. Usually, I get bored after two hours flight, but this time I have to admit that I enjoyed the whole trip. The staff was really professional, very welcoming and courteous. The menus were also as good as the selection of movies. The seat was so comfortable! Ah, I wish I could have the same one at home!!! I was quiet satisfied with everything, to be honest! The Emirates really deserves to be ranked first at the world's best airlines 2013!

As I arrived to Shanghai I have immediately noticed that only a very few natives could understand and speak English. So, that was a big issue for me because I don’t speak any Chinese. Also my friends who study Mandarin and have been living in Nanjing for more than six months find it difficult to fully interact with the natives. They explained, some Chinese would react weirdly whenever they meet foreign people and especially from the West. I find that quiet normal since everywhere in the world you would come across many clichés and stereotypes. Just to mention a very simple example: Italians are believed to have a high sense of fashion and quality, which is partially true but that does not necessarily apply to everyone. So, during my stay in China I was stopped many times and asked questions about my provenance, etc. Some locals took pictures with me, others invited me to take a cup of tea with them. If you think this is odd, then you will find it rude when some point their fingers at you or just stare at you or they would simply run away from you if you try to stop them and ask for information (even in Chinese). Crazy!!...Well, that was my first impression too! :D








No comments:

Post a Comment